Depending on the charges, your case could end up in one of several Delaware courts. Here is an overview of our courts and what they handle:
- Justice of the Peace Court is the court for very minor misdemeanors and traffic tickets.
- Court of Common Pleas handles just about every misdemeanor charge. CCP also runs a traffic court. Most DUIs, unless they are felonies, are handled in the CCP as well. CCP is our high volume court, handling over 100,000 cases every year.
- Family Court is the court that handles all juvenile offenses and some domestic violence offenses. When it comes to juvenile offenses, the Family Court has jurisdiction over both misdemeanors and felonies.
- Superior Court is our court for felony cases. The Superior Court also runs special courts like Mental Health Court and Veteran’s Court. Superior Court also handles appeals from CCP convictions.
- Supreme Court is our court for appeals from Superior Court convictions.
At Collins Price & Warner we have experience in all the Delaware Courts. Regardless of the charges you are facing, we can help. Contact us for a free initial consultation as soon as possible.